Requests for SAGW conference funding
The SAGW implemented a new ruling with respect to applying for conference funding. While members can no longer directly ask for conference funding for individual projects from the SAGW, they have the possibility of submitting a request to their respective SAGW societies, i.e., e.g. SAUTE.
We will entertain requests for the funding of conferences from related organisations in the field of English studies (SAMEMES, SWELL, …) to be included in our own budget request under the condition that they meet the criteria stated below, and that we receive a detailed budget by the conference organisers by Feb. 1 of the preceding year. The board will decide on the applications once a year before the AGM.
The next deadline is 1 February 2014 for 2015 events. Proposals should be sent to the SAUTE president (ahjucker (at) es.uzh.ch). Note that budget requests that are submitted in the same year as the SAUTE conference takes place may have to be cut as funding of the main event takes priority over these secondary events.
Criteria for SAUTE endorsement
Applications must meet the following requirements:
1. The project must be relevant to English studies and of value to teachers and researchers in English language and literature.
2. If a conference or other meeting is foreseen, it must be open to SAUTE members.
3. The project must show evidence of application to other potential sources of funding.
The following criteria will also help the SAUTE Board evaluate competing requests:
4. Scope of topic: does the project cover a sufficient range, historically or theoretically, to be of interest to more than a few SAUTE members?
5. Disciplinary range: does the project make possible connections between English and other disciplines, or among sub-disciplines of English, such as literature and language?
6. Is there involvement of more than one university?
7. Does the project promise to produce written research and scholarship suitable for publication?
8. Is the written research and scholarship intended for publication in SPELL?